Monday, 8 March 2010

Wading in

I promised myself that i woud try to refrain from political / social / monetary opinion on this blog, unless it was to poke fun at my life. I think I need to cross the line and wade into the debate about Jon Venebles.

Before I wade in, indulge me a little. I remember having to read Lord of the Flies aged 11. When it got to the part about Piggy falling to his death our teacher put us into groups to discuss events up until now. He watched us very carefully. I think he watched us to guage our reaction to how bad the savagery between the characters had become. We were all aged about 11 - 12 and we all knew that the events leading upto Piggy's death were so "naughty" that it made for some uncomfortable reading.

Jon Venables and his partner in crime knew what they were doing. [If you read "The Jigsaw Man, one of the most disturbing / fascinating books I have ever read, you will find out the true details of what they did to that poor little boy as well as the psychological profile of the two boys].

I dont know what Jon Veneables has done to be taken back to prison. I actually dont want to know. I genuinely hope he gets a fair trial. My concern is this: did he actually spend enough time in prison for the crime he commited originally and has society been too linient with his rehabilitation? If he were to have spent more time in therapy / prison then would he have been recalled now? Whilst the red top papers are trying to drive up a witch hunt, they need to respect the fact that we live in a society where we are innocent until proven guilty. If and when he is found guilty of this latest crime(s) then he should loose any right to freedom. This is on the assumption that he was recalled for a "serious" offence.

No comments: