Monday, 3 March 2008

Unlucky Day

There are days when life in this house is a dream and we all giggle all day long. Today was not one of them and I have mostly been wanting to purchase a magnum 45 and shoot dark angel right where it hurts.

I did not sleep that well last night as poor hubby has man flu. Got upto the boy at 7am, who was in a bit of a cantankerous mood. Luckily reading him loads of books quickly pacified him. He is addicted to his indoor swing at the moment and would quite happily spend hours in there. Unfortunately, the swing cuts off access between the living room and dining room, so you have to basically walk sideways becoming the human equivalent of an angel fish, just so you can get past. This morning my reflexes, probably due to interrupted sleep, were not exactly on top form. I normally sing the Indiana Jones tune in my head when negotiating the territory between the two rooms. I walked into the swing twice and bruised my thigh. If that wasn’t enough, I knelt down to push the boy whilst holding Charlotte on my knee, then got the boys foot in my eye.

I could not put Charlotte down fast enough, so I got hit again. Cameron thought this was hilarious and kept on saying “more”. Somehow the theme tune in my head switched from Indiana Jones to Jaws!

I got the kids ready and then drove into town. Imagine my optimism when I found that a kindly person had left me a free parking ticket, valid for one hour, on the machine. There is no magic formula for working out whether you can squeeze a trip to the police station AND get passport photos for us, into an hour. I decided to give it a go, what the hell, as it was obviously my lucky day for free parking!

I should have stopped there and then, when I noticed that I had to push the pram up a massive hill to get to the police station. The pram with the two kids weighs about 35 kilos. Convinced myself it was good excersise. The hill would have been manageable, had one of the wheels not fallen off. I was so puffed out, that I swore so much that I ran out of swear words in both languages. I think I would rather run the krypton factor assault course twice, than to try and balance a pram with two kids, whilst putting a wheel on.

By the time I got to the police counter, I could hardly breathe. There was a sign stating that they had a defibrillator. Again, lucky me I thought. To cut a long story short, I found a diamond ring a month ago and handed it into the police station. As no-one has come forward to claim it, its now mine, and I had to go and claim it. Again, lucky me.

The kind policewoman was nice, but, not the most efficient form filler on the planet. I think the screaming from the kids helped to motivate her along! Anyways, the ring was duly singed over and I left the police station feeling like Gollum!!!

Whilst I had my passport photo taken, Cameron tasked himself with the single handed destruction of the photo album aisle and reorganising a display stand. Its hard to have a passport photo taken, trying to look relaxed, when you know that you are going to leave the shop looking like Beirut!

Once I had put everything back in place after Cameron, said yes to the draft pics that the photographer showed me, I realised I had 17 mins left on the parking. Ofcourse, then photo printer broke down. Then I entered the wrong pin, then Cameron refused to get back in the pram. Blah blah blah. I ended up pushing the pram back to the parking space in quick time, convinced I would be facing a fine. Luckily even though I was late back, there were no traffic wardens in sight! Lucky me!

The afternoon flew by, put Charlotte to bed, then bathed the boy, read him loads of books, fed and medicated hubby, went to Sainsburys, cleaned kitchen, took rubbish and recyling out, out shopping away, prepped food for tomorrow and now here I am, at 9:30pm, having some me time.

Whoo hoo! Lucky me!

1 comment:

Evova said...

Positives:

1) you have saved £3 for parking
2) you got great excersise up the hill
3) you will get plus points in heaven for being nice to Man Flu Man
4) you have a diamond ring that you can either keep or sell on ebay (and buy something else instead!)

Take care!

Pollyanna

PS. See you Thursday, if the Man is well by then, dont want to get infected with anything just before going to Sweden.