Yesterday was my much needed day off, the first whole day off for 7 months, since Lottie was born. It was brilliant, writing about it now makes me smile as I remember the sheer selfishness of the day!
I started the day by making Charlotte’s lunch and then some dinner for the rest of the family. I prepared all the stuff that the kids need. Went to collect the Sunday roast meat from our butcher, and then by 10 am, Stuart was fully briefed and then I was free. I felt like screaming with excitement when I shut the door on my family! Don’t get me wrong, I love my family to bits, they are my universe, but a day off is like a mini lottery win!
I drove into town with the stereo blaring out Michael Jackson. I think I actually blew the speakers. I cannot tell you what a great sensation it is to actually walk along the street, hands firmly in my pockets. (Normally I am pushing a pram!). I did not even mind the fact that it was raining.
Decided that the best way to celebrate would be to have 3 scoops of icecream for breakfast – toffee, chockywocky chocolate and plum with cinnamon. Once brain freeze had taken hold, I signed up for a bra fitting. Brilliant to be able to take a seat in the waiting room and not look around nervously as to what the boy could destroy! I lost count of how many shops I then sauntered around, just glad to be able to take a decent look around.
The main highlight was lunch. £2.14 worth of the fizziest, sourest, teeth rotting pick and mix I could get my hands on and then sat down in Borders with a REALLY trashy book. I wish I could say the book was a literary masterpiece, it was actually Piers Morgan’s “Don’t you know who I am”. With every mouthful of pick and mix I lapped up more of Piers’s white trash gossip. Never in my life have I felt so comfortable as I did in borders, legs dangling over the side of the chair, shovelling pic and mix into my mouth, like it was going out of fashion. I was practically frothing at the mouth, not sure if it was from the pic and mix, the book or the sheer kick of being sans kids!
Some further retail therapy later, I ended up in a café, watching the world go by on a very large latte. Loved the fact that I actually saw the colours of the tiles change in the light, above the library, I felt that I had actually observed the building how the architect had wanted me to experience it.
Came home wondering if the kids had driven Stuart to the cooking wine, but he coped admirably
Sunday, 9 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment