Had a great time in hungary, we were flat bound a lot of the time as the snow (and there was lots of it) made it too cold to get out, also, due to lack of wind there was a smog problem. Granny cooked, baked and entertained the kids like it was going out of fashion.
We went to Dobogoko which is in the Pilis mountains just outside Budapest and had a walk round with my dad and his family. Cameron took great exception to the snow being cold and Lottie slept all the way through it. We warmed up with mulled wine. Realised how much of a foodie my dad is when, after, queing in a wooden hut offering mulled wine and sarnies, for over half an hour (and with a massive queue behind us) he starts asking about the EXACT makeup of the sarnie, i.e. butter before the liver pate. Then after thinking for another five minutes he asks what hot sarnies they have. I thought we were going to get lynched.
I got Jeremy Clarkson books for Christmas from Stuart, they are brilliant to read but I ended up so angry after each chapter, that I wanted to scream. Therefore, I dedicate the next paragraphs to Jezza:
Decided to go to the bank in Budapest to withdraw some money from our GBP account. I walk in, take a number from the allocation machine. Its Saturday 28 December, there is noone in the bank apart from the morose looking staff and a geriatric security guard and me. Tumbleweeds pass me by as I wait eversopatiently for 15 mins, whilst the ladies finish their teabreak, chat, gossip about which celebs have fake boobs, and then call me upto the counter.
Anyone who has ever been to Hungary will tell you its a lovely country, but, the customer service is appaling. The next few lines will give you an example, of, how not to treat customers. All of this is true and unfortunately not uncommon.
Cashier asks me for my account number, state it and then hand over my passport. Looking good I thought, I can be out of here soon. I ask to withdraw 1000GBP. Cashy (as I will affectionately call her) looks up at me smiling asking to see my authorisation. I smile back saying the account is in my name and I authorise myself to withdraw it.
Cashy then snarls out of the corner of her mouth saying I need to give them a weeks notice. Aha, I respond, I will take 999 then. She virtually spits at me that she will tell me how much GBP she has. Deep intake of breath follows her words of wisdom as she says that the GBP is in the next office and she will be back in 5. Fifteen mins later (I did not mind this delay, as I resolved to send her back asking for a lower denomination, when she finally arrived) she waddles back in and tells me I can have 500. She has it in 50's.
I was about to ask for it in 20's when I notice that their exchange rate is better than the exchange beauru's on the street. I state that I want to change the full 1000. Cashy is experiencing a hot flush at this stage. I tell her that I wanted the 1000 to take to a good exchange rate place, but as the banks rate is so good, it will save me a trip. Cashy tells me its the rate from the previous day. I tell her that the rate is advertised, I am accepting their kind offer and she HAS to complete the transaction at that rate. I deliver all of this very calmly.
Cashy says that the rate does not stand. Geriatric security guard shuffles over to stand behind me.
I decide to give up. I now need to get out of here asap, before I kill someone stone cold dead with a Jeremy Clarkson book.
I remember that I wanted to check what DD's are due that month. I ask her to PLEASE check. She tuts, pulls the keyboard out from the desk, whacks the keyboard as she enters the data and then throws the printout over the counter. I said thank you.
I start to walk off, she starts shouting that I have to come back. I had forgotten to sign the copies of my withdrawl in triplicate AND I also had to pay 50 forints (about 15 pence) for my transaction.
The red mist decended. I threw my bag down on the counter, cue arms waving, spit frothing, I tell her that this whole trip to the bank has taken me 2 hours, in the UK it would have been 15 mins. I tell her that I have had to organise childcare just so I could get abused and pay for the privelidge. She looks at me non plussed and told me that I should be grateful as the bank is better than it was before!
Thursday, 3 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hehe, wont tell my parents who think budapest is heaven on earth and are planning a visit this year as well.
in sweden the main thing that bugs me is that you have to have id when you use a card, but you DONT if its a foreign card, but they ignore me when i say that and go tutut guess you'll have to go somewhere else. customer service hasnt come to sweden either.
Post a Comment