I decided it was time to change our butcher. You would think that as a consumer voting with your hard earned dosh would be simple. Alas, no, not in my case anyway. I have been to the new butcher before as a trial run. Asked for a pork loin. He started cutting up the meat, scoring it and asked me if I would like the bones. Which is when I made my mistake. I said something worse than declaring myself a vegetarian. I asked how big the bone was (which is where I should have stopped the sentence) as I had only ever bought pork loin, without bone from the supermarket. He looked up from the hacksaw and said I should not have told him that. I heard myself say ...."but I am now antisupermarket for meat". He then looked up again, this time approvingly. Phew. The next test was when he asked me what I planned to do with it. I replied that my master plan was to marinate it in rosemary, thyme and garlic overnight, sear it then throw it in a claypot for an hour. Again an approving look. Whooo, we were doing well.
Until he told me the price of the meat. Now, you should know that I am going to, somehow or other reduce our weekly food shop to £60 excluding nappies and cleaning products. If I am successful then Mr Brown, I would like to be treasurer. This is partially beacuse Cameron likes expensive food: fillet steak, duck breast, parma ham, etc. Our jolly butcher charged me £12 for a joint of meat for lunch. In hindsight, it was actually me agreeing to take the bones which racked the price up. If I had just taken the meat, sans bones it would have cost half. But now I know for next time. I am going to learn the language which I have named butcherish. Luckily my trusty Hungarian cookbook starts each meat section with a lecture on how to get the best cut of meat, what it should look like, along with an anatomy picture of what part of the animals body it came from.
I am glad to report that the meat was really good. The bones unfortunately went in the bin as they would not fit into the pot. Typical.
Saturday, 19 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment