Sunday, 16 December 2007

Nanny State

Stuart andI are sick. Stuart has flu, proper flu where he sweats profusely and if just in a world of pain. I just have a cold. To try and drug oursevles out of it, I went to the supermarker to buy copius amounts of Day and Night Nurse for Stupot and Paracetemol for me. I had four boxes of paracetemol at 16p each (bargin) (and yes I am aware this is reading like the starter to a maths question), 1 box of Lemsip, 1 Day Nurse and One Sainsburys own brand of flu remedy. Get to the checkout, assistant tells me to go back to the pharmacy as i am not allowed to buy 4 boxes of paracetemol due to new legislation. she tells me to go back and buy 2 boxes of 32. I stare at her blankly, thinking she is being akward, ask if there is a shortage of boxes of 16's which is why she wants to keep them.

No is the reply, new rules dictate that I could be wanting to commit suicide and that I can only get the boxes of 32 from the pharmacist himself. Slope back to the pharmacy. Queue everso patiently, ask for my box of 32, she explains the same as the cashier, asks me if I want to pay there instead of going back to the cash desk. As she is putting the items through the till, it wont accept the third flu remedy, again, due to this new legislation.

Have a very hard time keeping calm, keep repeating the mantra of "its not her fault" to myself. Agree to leave the 3rd flu remedy behind.

So, it would appear that I can actually have the same amount of paracetemol but in a different volume box, thanks to New Labour. Furthermore, I will have to make a seperate trip to stock up on the other essential flu remedies. Isnt life just a little too complex at times?

3 comments:

Evova said...

love that rule. or you could by some in the pharmacy and then the rest back at the normal check out.
i am sure that if i wanted to kill myself the fact that i would have to buy the pills in serveral rounds probably wouldnt stop me.

hope you are feeling better!!

Evova said...

oh get your granny to install broadband so i can get updates from hungary!!

Evova said...

or just come home so I can get an update on whether the granny threw stones at lenin again or not and if the boy managed a record number of cakes being eaten simultaneously