My Granny is a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge, therefore, I generally bow to her superiority and go with any advice she dishes out. Having bemoaned about the fact that all my clothes are covered in some kind of child related bodily fluid, she told me to make or purchase myself an "otthonka". You should know that an "otthonka" is a short sleeved cotton dress, invariably in some garish colour or long out of date pattern, worn around the house by housewives in Hungary.
The dress has a huge array of pockets for storing all sorts of paraphenalia you need as a mother /domestic godess: tissues, random plastic toy, small snack, plant sapling, valium... you get the picture. I seem to recall my granny having several of these otthonkas mostly in purple and they lasted for years. She only ever wore them at home and changed out of it at family meal times. When any inpromptu guests arrived, they were kept waiting at the door until she had changed out of it. Her golden rule was only ever to wear it around the house(hence the rather bizaare sight of her hanging her rugs out to dust and dusting them in her normal clothes, then once back inside she would change back into Otthonka attire and continue cleaning!).
So, imagine my horror, when after a half hour lecture of how I should be wearing one of these, I actually gave consideration to trying to source one. Luckily the moment of madness passed and I came to my senses. I now desperately need an outing to a Zara or Mango, even if it is only to touch or the clothes,the clothes of normal adults, so I dont have thoughts of Otthonka's ever again.
Thursday, 23 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Aha, this is really funny, I was only thinking about housecoats (as they're called in english) the other day. There must be a stylish alternative, but what is it???
I think its a GREAT idea. I think I might start...
Can you get some next time in Hungary? I want a red one, with flowers...
Post a Comment