The art of a (young) lady
During the course of my 13 years with Stuart, I have learned (ney, trained him) to obey, without me having to say a word. Cue “Gollum” – this is a facial expression that I have mastered. You basically ensure you have your eyes as wide as possible, drop jaw, tilt head and flutter eyelashes. Works a treat, normally when I want him to do a minor favour – e.g cup of coffee, change Cameron’s nappy, go to shop and buy chocolate.
In more extreme cases, the “Sumo Wrestler” can be used, often reserved for more pressing matters, when you cannot even be arsed arguing. This involves puffing out chest, hands on hips, twitching nose so that the corner of ones mouth is raised, narrow eyes and purse mouth. I normally reserve Sumo wrestler for occasions whereby the Gollum has not worked.
Every woman has her box of tricks, and it always evolves and becomes more efficient. In the not so distant past, I would have employed the use of a mini skirt, lashing of lip gloss and some racy undergarments. Now that everything is heading south (and I am heavily pregnant) I have to resort to more Machiavellian ways of ensuring the outcome I would like.
Imagine my surprise yesterday, when, I did not have to employ any of above “situational management tactics”. We singled out a car at a local garage. All the way there I mentally totting up how many Gollums and Sumo Wrestlers it would take before he cracked. Not only did Stuart like the initial car we singled out, BUT, he actually preferred and fell in love with a model that was way beyond the budget and he was actually thinking of buying it. I was completely lost for words. Dear reader, if there is a parallel universe, then surely I had jumped there!!!!
Thursday, 21 June 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Am so glad you found a car, did Cam the Destruction Man cause any more havoc in this showroom? Email me aaaaall about the new wonder, what brand, model, how many dodas, cost, delivery date etc etc.
Also, shall I schedule in a visit to the hospital Sun 22nd, will you be bored out of your mind by then?
Hey, I was just bored and googling the names of people I used to know and found your blog - hello! It's good to see what you're up to!
I keep one over here - http://my-autistic-boy.blogspot.com/, but it's all anonymous (names are changed!) and it's about my little boy Sam who has autism.
Katharine (who you went to school with)
I'm so glad that you let me know the new address of your blog - I found it was missing this morning and worried that I'd frightened you away by popping up from your past!
I'm replying to your comment on your blog so I don't have to "unmask" myself on mine! I'm trying to keep it anonymous because I complain a lot about the people who we deal with to get services for Sam (yeah, George is a fake name too...). The nursery you mention sounds great, but probably too late for Sam as he's already got a Special Needs preschool placement next year - thank God!
I'm in very vague contact with Sara (I see her on the bus sometimes, and we text each other around birthday time) and that's it as far as old friends go. You might remember my sisters - I still see them! How about you?
I think I tried to add you as a friend on facebook (if there's not another person with your name out there) so if you accept me(!) I can tell you more about my thrilling life in relative privacy...
Love K
Post a Comment